Registering a Bitcoin wallet is a set of actions aimed at finding services for storing digital currency. Depending on the choice, the storage can be hot with access to the Internet or cold with the ability to work without connecting to the network. The article will provide answers on where to register a Bitcoin wallet, and what steps you need to go through to get reliable storage.
Where to register a Bitcoin wallet?
Bitcoin wallets can take the form of an app, online service, special device or sheet of paper with a private and public key. This is conditionally a repository confirming the ownership of Bitcoin coins to a specific user.
In order to answer the question of where to register a Bitcoin wallet, it is important to determine its type. The following Bitcoin storage types are available:
- Desktop wallets are apps for a PC or laptop. Wallet registration is free, but a small fee is charged for transactions. Conditionally divided into thin (Electrum, Exodus, Copay, Jaxx) and fat (Bitcoin Core). In the latter case, the blockchain for the entire period of Bitcoin existence is downloaded to the computer along with the app. In a fat app, there is no need to download data. Most fat wallets support Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
- Online wallets are storage hosted on special servers. To register a Bitcoin wallet, just select a site, create a profile and get a Bitcoin wallet number for transactions. Popular services are BitGo, BTC.com. They have a lower degree of protection, and in case of a hacking attack, the BTC owner may be left without coins.
- Mobile wallets are storage that looks like an app for smartphones or tablets. They are thin and hot, used for daily transactions. When choosing this option, you need to download the app to your phone (Coinbase Wallet, Xapo, Airbitz, Bitcoin Wallet) and register your Bitcoin wallet.
- Hardware wallets look like a small device that resembles a flash drive in size. They belong to the cold type of wallets, which indicates maximum protection against hacking. All information is stored inside such devices, and transactions require a connection to a laptop or PC. Representatives of such wallets are Ledger, Trezor, KeepKey.
A separate category includes paper storage. To register a Bitcoin wallet, you must go to one of the special services (for example, WalletGenerator), and then follow the instructions. After registration is completed, the user will have a private and public key. In the event of data loss, access to money is lost.
How to register a Bitcoin wallet: an overview of different types
When considering the registration of a Bitcoin wallet, it is important to proceed from the selected type of storage. For each option, individual instruction for action is provided.
To register a Bitcoin desktop wallet, do the following (Green Address as an example):
- Go to greenaddress.it;
- Install the extension for the browser from the Google Chrome web store;
- Enter the wallet and click on the Create a new wallet button;
- Specify the mnemonic phrase that you need to save and protect from strangers (it can be used to restore access to coins);
- Enable two-factor authentication;
- Go through the necessary checks.
These steps are enough to register a Bitcoin wallet. After that, you can receive cryptocurrency and send BTC to other users.
If the option with an online wallet is selected, registration takes place in several stages:
- Choose a suitable web wallet, for example, blockchain.info;
- Click on the registration button, enter your e-mail address and password;
- Wait for the link to the mailbox and click on it to confirm the registration.
It will take several minutes to register such a Bitcoin wallet. After that, go to your personal account and make security settings – set two-factor authentication by linking the storage to your mobile phone.
In order to register a Bitcoin mobile wallet, you need to launch the Play Market app and download one of the cryptocurrency storage applications, for example, Bitcoin Wallet. At the next stage, you login to the app and use its capabilities.
If the goal is to register a paper Bitcoin wallet, go through the following steps:
- Log in to one of the paper storage services, for example, Walletgenerator.net;
- Download the archive;
- Disconnect from the Network and unpack it;
- Open the HTML file;
- Click on the button “Get a new address” and move the mouse pointer over the screen;
- Print paper with QR code (public and private).
The finished document must be hidden and avoid falling into the wrong hands. For reliability, information can be duplicated.
To register a Bitcoin hardware wallet, you do not need to go to any website or download an application. All that is required is to buy a special device, for example, Trezor Model T. To use a wallet, do the following:
- Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable;
- Go to trezor.io/start;
- Select wallet model and OS;
- Download the necessary software;
- Install the firmware, and then restore the old one or make a new wallet;
- Create a backup copy (seed phrase);
- Give the wallet a name and set a PIN to protect it.
In the future, you can always take a Bitcoin wallet with you and use it as needed.
The registration questions and the use of a Bitcoin wallet
When choosing an app or service for registering a Bitcoin wallet, be careful and trust only trusted sites. If there is a large amount, it is better to store the funds in paper or hardware wallets and to have a part of the money for circulation in desktop or online Bitcoin wallets.
- Do not carry funds in your wallet;
- Make a backup to restore access in the event of a password loss;
- Set two-factor authentication during registration to control all operations by phone and mailbox;
- Encrypt storage and use a complex password;
- Do not connect to someone else’s computer without confidence in its security;
- Sign transactions on a PC that is not connected to the Network;
- Update software periodically;
- Write a will in the event of a force majeure so that your close ones can access the accumulated money.
In the case of the Bitcoin wallet, it is important to pay attention to security, regularly back up and protect data about the private key from falling into unauthorized hands.
Registering a Bitcoin wallet is only a matter of time, after which you can begin to earn cryptocurrency. One of the safest ways is to purchase a contract on a cloud mining service. After receiving the power, investors begin to receive Bitcoin coins to their wallets. In the future, the earned cryptocurrency can be withdrawn or kept on a wallet in the expectation of a future increase in the exchange rate.